Help keep future rates low with an AC switch, and we'll credit your account!
Over the past 20 years, the percentage of homes with air conditioning has nearly doubled for Ohio electric cooperatives. This means more electricity is needed during the summer, which can create times of high demand; we must provide enough electricity for these times. But at what cost? The Cool Returns program helps control future energy prices, but only if you participate.
To accomplish reduced demand in the summer, Midwest Electric is offering members a radio-controlled switch for central air-conditioning systems. This cycles the compressor on your AC unit for brief periods of time (7 to 12 minutes out of a 30-minute time frame) during peak demand conditions when electricity is most expensive. This does not control your thermostat or harm your cooling system. In fact, cool air continues to circulate through your home. Cycling periods are so brief that participants rarely notice a change in comfort.
Allow the cooperative to install this Cool Returns switch and you'll earn a $1 monthly bill credit year-round ($12 annually). Existing equipment will receive a one-time clean and checkup from a local heating and cooling contractor ($125 value) — all at no cost to you.
Load control saves the cooperative $500,000 a year in lower power costs and is one reason why we haven’t had a rate increase since 2010!
To learn about our other rebate programs available, click here. For more information about Cool Returns, or to enroll now, call our office at 800-962-3830 or fill out the form below.
- Midwest Electric members owning existing (or a newly purchased) central AC unit without a previously installed radio-controlled switch (RCS).
- AC unit must be no older than 12 to 15 years.
- $12 annual bill credit for each year the switch is installed ($1 per month) and a one-time clean and checkup from a local HVAC contractor ($125 value)
- Fill out the application below.
- You will be contacted by Midwest Electric, asked a few questions about your AC unit (type, model, etc.), and will set up an appointment for installation of the switch by a local contractor.
- Please allow 4-6 weeks for processing.
- The switch must remain operational for the life of the equipment.
We’ll help pay for that, too! You can also receive a $100 rebate for purchasing an ENERGY STAR-certified central AC or mini-split unit with a minimum 14 SEER rating, as long as you install a Cool Returns switch.