Help keep future rates low with a radio-controlled switch and get $50! Plus, you'll receive a $5.00 account credit per month during peak months (June-September)!
Over the past 20 years, the percentage of homes with air conditioning has nearly doubled for Ohio electric cooperatives. This means more electricity is needed during the summer, which can create times of high demand; we must provide enough electricity for these times. But at what cost? The Cool Returns program helps control future energy prices, but only if you participate.
To accomplish reduced demand in the summer, Midwest Electric is offering members a radio-controlled switch for central air-conditioning systems. This cycles the compressor on your AC unit for brief periods of time (7 to 12 minutes out of a 30-minute time frame) during peak demand conditions when electricity is most expensive. This does not control your thermostat or harm your cooling system. In fact, cool air continues to circulate through your home. Cycling periods are so brief that participants rarely notice a change in comfort.
Allow the cooperative to install this radio-controlled switch (also known as a Cool Returns switch) on your central AC unit, and we'll credit your electric account $50, plus you'll receive a $5.00 account credit per month during peak months (June-September). This is all at no cost to you! We will cover the charge for a local contractor to visit your home for the installation of the switch.
Load control saves the cooperative $600,000 a year in lower power costs. By joining programs like Cool Returns, you really can help make a difference!
* We also offer radio-controlled switches for heat pumps and geothermal systems, so please be sure to contact us if you have either of those. The $50 rebate is only valid for members who have not already had a switch installed on their equipment. The member must be new to the program to be eligible. Rebate is for year-round residential homes only. Seasonal homes do not qualify.
For more information about Cool Returns, or to enroll now, call our office at 800-962-3830 or fill out the form below.
- Midwest Electric members with an existing central AC unit, heat pump, or geothermal system without a previously installed radio-controlled switch (RCS).
- AC unit must be no older than 12 to 15 years.
- Fill out the application below.
- You will be contacted by Midwest Electric, asked a few questions about your AC unit, heat pump, or geothermal unit (type, model, etc.), and will set up an appointment for installation of the switch by a local contractor.
- Please allow 4-6 weeks for processing.
- The switch must remain operational for the life of the equipment.