Help keep future rates low with a radio-controlled switch, and get $50!
Over the past 20 years, the percentage of homes with air conditioning has nearly doubled for Ohio electric cooperatives. This means more electricity is needed during the summer, which can create times of high demand; we must provide enough electricity for these times. But at what cost? The Cool Returns program helps control future energy prices, but only if you participate.
To accomplish reduced demand in the summer, Midwest Electric is offering members a radio-controlled switch for central air-conditioning systems. This cycles the compressor on your AC unit for brief periods of time (7 to 12 minutes out of a 30-minute time frame) during peak demand conditions when electricity is most expensive. This does not control your thermostat or harm your cooling system. In fact, cool air continues to circulate through your home. Cycling periods are so brief that participants rarely notice a change in comfort.
Allow the cooperative to install this radio-controlled switch (also known as a Cool Returns switch) on your central AC unit, and we'll credit your electric account $50. This is all at no cost to you. We will cover the charge for a local heating and cooling contractor to visit your home for the installation of the switch. Feel free to ask questions while the contractor is there!
Load control saves the cooperative $500,000 a year in lower power costs. By joining programs like Cool Returns, you really can help make a difference!
* We also offer radio-controlled switches for heat pump units and geothermal systems, so please be sure to contact us if you have either of those. The $50 rebate is only valid for members who have not already had a switch installed on their equipment. The member must be new to the program to be eligible.
To learn about our other rebate programs available (like rebates for new central AC units), click here. For more information about Cool Returns, or to enroll now, call our office at 800-962-3830 or fill out the form below.
- Midwest Electric members owning existing (or a newly purchased) central AC unit without a previously installed radio-controlled switch (RCS).
- AC unit must be no older than 12 to 15 years.
- A one-time $50 rebate in the form of a bill credit, after the switch is installed. The contractor call to install the switch is on us, so there is no cost to the member.
- Fill out the application below.
- You will be contacted by Midwest Electric, asked a few questions about your AC unit (type, model, etc.), and will set up an appointment for installation of the switch by a local contractor.
- Please allow 4-6 weeks for processing.
- The switch must remain operational for the life of the equipment.
We’ll help pay for that, too! You can receive a $100 rebate for purchasing an ENERGY STAR-certified central air-conditioning unit with a minimum 14 SEER rating, as long as you install a Cool Returns switch.